The AWIPS awards are intended to recognize individuals or groups that have worked to advance women in public safety in Alberta. The awards categories have been created to highlight the areas AWIPS deems critical to advancing its mission and vision.
The following are AWIPS awards criteria and submission process.
Criteria and submission process
- Nominations must be submitted to AWIPS by June 30, 2021
- Download, complete and submit the Nomination Form from the AWIPS website
- Electronic submissions are encouraged.
- Support material such as videos, CDs and promotional material will also be considered. Please make reference to them in the nomination form and arrangements will be made for submission
- AWIPS Board will submit the nominations received to the Selection Committee
- The Selection Committee consists of members of AWIPS
- Once a winning submission is chosen by the Selection Committee, the winning nominee(s)’ chief of police or senior executive-in-charge will be contacted, and an invitation will be sent to the winning nominee(s) with details about the award ceremony.
- June 30, 2021: Deadline to submit nominations
- September 1, 2021: Deadline for the Selection Committee to choose a winning submission
- September 1, 2021: The winning nominee(s) is/are notified
- October 2021: The award will be announced/presented at AWIPS Annual General Meeting
- Nominations will be scored on the rubric and a score out of a total of 20 marks will be given based upon 5 criteria.
The AWIPS Board will appoint an AWIPS Annual Awards Program Committee to assist with the selection process. The committee will consist of five (5) members, recognizing that an uneven number of participants is recommended to ensure a majority decision. Membership on the committee should be representative of AWIPS member agencies. The following are AWIP Award procedures:
The Chair of the AWIPS Awards Program Committee has no vote unless it is to break a tie vote of the committee.
1.- The Chair of the AWIPS Awards Program Committee has no vote unless it is to break a tie vote of the committee.
2.- The Chair of the Committee shall publish the following on the AWIPS website related to the Awards:
- The instructions for submitting Award nominations.
- The deadline for submissions.
- A description of the Award criteria.
3.-Candidates shall be entered for only one Award per year.
4.- Evidence used to support the award shall be recent, in the past three years unless a situation exists where an exception should be made. That exception should obtain the approval by the Committee prior to Award submission.
5.- There will only be one winner per award, unless more than one person was involved in a specific incident/project
6.-Winners of the Awards shall be published on the AWIPS website, unless the recipients offer an objection.
7.- The Chair of the committee shall notify all unsuccessful entrants by mail
8.- AWIPS Annual Awards will be presented at AWIPS annual general meeting.
Create an inclusive culture that supports the growth and development of women in Alberta’s law enforcement community.